Sunday, September 25, 2005

Slate floor for Maui cottage

Here is a picture of the Chinese slate floor tiles in the entryway. Due to the fact that we get lots of wind and rain, we want to keep the entry tiled to avoid water damage in the future.


The tiles are laid out and ready to be set in place. Now I have to move them all aside, waterproof the cement board, and prepare the thinset. It will be a tricky job, but well worth it. Since it's a small area, about 80 sf, we can do it ourselves without much difficulty. There's no way I would want to tile a whole big room. Knee pads really make it easier!
Update: It looks great now, all grouted and sealed, but there were many times when I wondered "why am I doing this?" It was difficult and very time consuming to get it just right. My hands were shot for days, and talk about sore legs! Next time, I think I will hire a professional.

No comments: